Extra-curricular activities are an integral part of cultivating a sound character in university students and are an essential part of a fruitful learning experience in university, which is why university students ought to and are expected to actively engage in such activities. Currently, there are fifty-nine student clubs or societies in five categories: academic, recreational, service, sports and personal development. Many have received public recognition for their outstanding activities. For example, the Mountain-Climbing Club, among others, has been awarded the "University Club Excellence Award", while the Chinese Martial Arts Society has won several major prizes in national university competitions.
The university provides separate dormitories for male and female students, which are furnished with security systems, air-conditioned facilities, washing machines, drinking fountains and television. In cooperation with Chung-hua Telecom, the university has been able to provide the occupants with broadband internet access subscriptions at a favorable rate. Resident attendants will be on duty at the dormitory in order to provide assistance to the occupants.
To encourage students to pursue academic excellence, the university provides scholarships, up to NT$400,000 paid in installments over four academic years, to qualified students. Other subsidy and scholarship provisions for emergency, hardship etc., from external sponsors are also available upon application.
Hygiene and Health Office
The Hygiene and Health Office oversees the handling of accidents that happen to the faculty and students and consultations concerning hygiene and health. Its function also includes providing medical assistance for large-scale on and off-campus activities, organizing our school's blood-donation campaign and other activities related to health awareness. The office also undertakes the following tasks:
- Freshmen Health-checkup : The Office is responsible for arranging health checkups and hepatitis B vaccinations for the freshmen. Abnormal cases from such checkups will be followed up.
- Student Insurance : Insurance that covers medical expenses, disability and death is available through the office.
- Raising Awareness against Accidents : The office organizes training for emergency response personnel and students every other week.
- Associated Hospitals : There are three regional hospitals, Chinese-medicine hospitals, dental clinics and obstetric-gynecological clinics that provide rebates for registration fees and admission fees for NUU faculty and students.
- Canteen Management : The office will conduct daily sampling and testing on canteen catering, the results of which will be made public on the school website. Survey of students' satisfaction on the quality of catering will also be conducted every semester. The office also answers complaints and opinions concerning the canteen.
- Epidemic Prevention and Control : The school is responsible for organizing SARS Response Meetings and, every semester, holding seminars concerning preventive measures against SARS and other epidemic diseases.
To help students understand themselves better and to live life in a positive way, the Consulting Center provides following services:
- Know Your Mind : The Office provides objective evaluations to promote self-understanding.
- Keep Talking : The Center has qualified professionals who can help students to ease the pressures of life, to unleash their potential and to build a healthy social life.
- Keep Your Mind Updated : The Center holds self-awareness activities occasionally throughout the year.
- Training for volunteers : The Center provides self-awareness and growth workshops to promote mutual peer assistance among students.
- Library: The Center provides readings and videos concerning mental health and self-awareness for loan to students and faculty.
- Personalized Service : The Center can provide consultation and other services that meet the personal needs of faculty members or students.
- Relating Homeroom Teachers and Students : Through multiple homeroom teacher training mechanisms, the Center helps the homeroom teachers to act as a bridge between the center and the students.